Starting off with Windows
For people with little or no experience of computers who would like an introduction to the basics of using a personal computer to write documents, accessing the Internet and using email. We aim to keep jargon to a minimum and make the process as enjoyable as possible.
The purpose of this course is to introduce the fundamentals of the Windows Operating System, to enable those new to computers to use the mouse & keyboard, to perform basic text editing and formatting text. The aim is to banish any fear of the technology and equip students to benefit from the opportunities it offers.
- On this course you will learn how to:
up and shut down a personal computer
- Use a mouse and keyboard properly
- Use Windows to launch appropriate software, open save & close files/documents and manage files and folders
- Get started on the Internet
- Learn how to read and send emails
- Edit and format text to enable you to write a simple letter and emails
A workbook is provided containing exercises to give hands-
- Lesson 1: Switching on and shutting down
- Health & Safety/Ergonomics
- Switching on/shutting down
- Introduction to Windows
- Using the mouse
- The main elements of the computer
- Lesson 2: The keyboard
- Keyboard –
layout and functions
- Simple text editing using WordPad
- Saving and retrieving your work
- Windows/File Explorer
- Keyboard –
- Lesson 3: Introduction to the Internet
- What is the Internet?
- How to get connected
- Choosing an Internet Service Provider
- Opportunities the Internet offers
- Introduction to the browser
- Accessing and navigating a web site
- Lesson 4: Finding Images and Information
- Finding and using Images
- Finding and collecting text
- Using other Google services
- Translation services
- Lesson 5: Introduction to email
- How to get an email address and set up an account
- Sending and receiving messages
None! Apart from a desire to learn.
The Microsoft Office Suite of program courses will give you the ability to use your device for all manner of things from typing up minutes for your organisations committee meetings – Word and Further Word – to managing accounts – Excel and Further Excel – as well as giving you more confidence in using the computer for the Internet and email.
When and Where?If you are unsure of the suitability of one of our courses or simply wish to find out more you can visit one of our drop in centres to discuss a course or visit our courses timetable page or our course planner page to see where and when the courses are being held.
Book a course now