Starting off with Apple iPads
This course is for total beginners, showing you the basics of how to use an Apple iPad, as well showing you how to use the internet and email. The whole course is presented using an iPad, however much of the course is relevant to the iPhone too (though there are some differences), so if you wish to attend with an iPhone, that’s OK and we will point out the differences as we go along.
To introduce students to the practicalities of the Internet, as well as how to send and receive email messages. Our aim is to build confidence in using both the Internet and email for those students who have minimal experience with these topics. We will cover some of the Apple iPad’s basic functionality.
A workbook is provided containing exercises to give hands-
- Harpenden Course: 5 weeks, 1.5 hours per session
- St Albans Course: 4 weeks, 2 hours per session
Course topics covered will include:
- Finding your way around the iPad
- Navigating the home screen
- What is an App?
- The on-screen keyboard and basic text editing
- Voice Dictation
- Getting online – what is WiFi anyway?
- Using the Safari browser to visit websites
- How to search the Internet with a search engine (e.g. Google)
- All about Siri
- Creating contacts in your iPad’s address book
- Using the “Mail” app
- Sending emails to your contacts
- How to reply/forward and delete emails
- Printing emails & websites
- Sharing website links
- Security advice when using the Internet
- What to look out for in bogus ‘Phishing’ emails
- How to create secure, but memorable passwords
- Taking photographs with the iPad’s camera
- The “Photos” app
- Emailing photos, and saving photos emailed to you
- Bringing it all together, with structured practice exercises
Please bring your Apple iPad or iPhone along with you. No particular level of experience is expected.
When and Where?If you are unsure of the suitability of one of our courses or simply wish to find out more you can visit one of our drop in centres to discuss a course or visit our courses timetable page or our course planner page to see where and when the courses are being held.
Book a course now